Sep 28, 2019
Interesting facts about Google
There are very few people who haven't heard of Google. Today, the company runs the world's most commonly used search engine and the Android operating system that powers all of our smartphones.
Initially, Google just a Ph.D. project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University, and was formally incorporated as a privately held company on September 4, 1998.
The company always tries to do things differently, and that works to keep things fresh, impressive and consistently progressive. In this process, they created some interesting things that you may not know yet. Let's find out them -
- First Google server build with Legos that used 10 separate 4GB hard drives.
- Co-founder Larry Page was granted a patent for the algorithm PageRank, which was assigned to Stanford.
- Google regularly rents goats to eco-friendly mow the lawns of their mountain view HQ.
- Google has a pet T-rex, named Stan, which lives at their California headquarters.
- The name 'Google' is actually derived from the mathematical term 'googol' which is basically 1 with a 100 zeros.
- If you search "I want to commit suicide" then Google provides the Suicide Helpline number of your country.
- Search “atari breakout” in Google Images and you can play the game.
- Since 2010, Google has been acquiring an average of one company every week.
- Google was slower before, it was only able to crawl between and index somewhere between 30 and 50 pages per second, depending on their content.
- Type any number in the search bar and Google will spell it out for you by using simple syntax "1234=english".
- Google gives 50% salary every year for the next decade to the families of their employee, who died while working on Google.
- Google uses foo.bar a web tool to recruit new employees based on their search.
- Larry and Sergey's private planes are the only planes that have permission to land on NASA's runways.
- Google owns many common misspellings of its own domain, such as gooogle.com, gogle.com, and googlr.com.
- Google office has some kind of delicious food in every 150 feet.
That's it for now, keep in touch for more interesting facts.